Over the past (almost) two years of starting my business I have put some serious time and effort into learning. The first year my learning was very business and money based and this year was very self and relationship based.
I honestly don’t think I could be doing life the way I am now without these 3 very special teachers…and because knowledge is nothing if you don’t share it I wanted to give you a little insight into how they have helped me plus the links to their online homes.
The other woman in my life, my mother, my grandmother, my aunts & friends are all incredible supports and I love them dearly and learn from them every day (but you aint getting their numbers)
Marie Forleo – Business with purpose, profit & heart.
When I started my Business, I took R30k out of our family savings, I spent R5k on my initial website design and R24k on Marie Forleo’s B-School.
To say spending most my ‘seed money’ on an online course to teach me (only me) how to do this business thing the way I believed it could be done, was mother trucker scary.
It took at least two 30min conversation with my mom, multiple conversations with my husband, days of mulling and a heck load of faith in Marie & myself to push that buy button to her course, but flip I’m glad I did.
What I learnt:
- Spending money on yourself to learn useful skills & knowledge IS actually spending money on your business.
- Money comes and goes but a focused, clear cut direction, knowledge and belief in yourself doesn’t.
- How to talk my truth in my voice to the people who need to hear it, not everyone.
- A shit load of technical & online marketing stuff (some I still use some I don’t).
- That you can make a good profit while still serving your client, community, world and self (and that’s ok)
- How to focus every business decision on where I wanted to go and the WHY behind getting there.
Denise Duffield-Thomas – Positive money mindsets & releasing money blocks.
After I did the B-School course I realised that I had huge business related self-worth and charging insecurities that affected my ability to price my time and services correctly.
I knew I was in the ‘pay my dues’ time of business and from the focus I got in B-School I did do intentional free or reduced price work & functions but I still felt deep inside that I couldn’t ask for or was worthy of good money.
The Lucky Bitch Money boot camp helped me realise that money blocks were an actual thing (because not once had I ever heard people, never mind business people talk about money blocks) and gave me some great tools to recognise them and start work on them.
What I learnt:
- Having money blocks is a real thing (especially for woman) rooted in the most random life lessons and memories.
- You can take control of your money mindset. There are tools and practices you can implement that do make a difference and change your ideas and beliefs.
- I am a little more of a woo woo, the right energy, positive thinking type of girl than I ever thought I was and I kinda like it that way.
- Money blocks never go away, you just learn how to deal with them at each stage of your growth and business life.
- I am worthy of money and abundance.
Angela Hardy – Kinesiologist & relationship/life coach.
After opening up to the possibility that not everything in life and business is as clear cut and obvious as my tertiary education had lead me to believe (yay 28 years of general beliefs and 4 years of a business management & industrial psychology degree turned on it’s head in 1 year) and that you could actually use words like heart, passion and life in the same sentence as work, profit and success….
And that female careers and success didn’t have to look like the typical pencil skirt and high heels in a manic high rise office where life, kids and a happy personal life were all swear words (all of which I totally bought into and I have the pencil skirt and reasonably sized high heels to prove it) I knew I had to work on my general business mindsets.
Denise talked about working with a Kinesiologist and that is what brought me to discover Angela.
I started working with Angela with the intention of working on my business only. In a year or so of monthly sessions Angela has helped me work through money blocks, relationship issues my husband & I have had, my beliefs around what being a business woman, mother and wife looks like (because I truly didn’t believe you could do all three and be semi happy or successful in more than one) how to break the cycle of bad habits and so so so much more.
My time with Ang has been the most transformative of any teacher I have had.
What I learnt:
- What you think the root of the problem is, normally isn’t really the root at all. We are delicate and complicated creatures that need more than just common sense and generally accepted theories to figure out our shit.
- Once you start putting time into understanding the real problem (and not just what you think it is) you can actually solve it in an incredibly productive and efficient way.
- Re-framing is life changing. Re-framing the way you look at or feel about a situation, past event, person or anything really is P.O.W.E.R.F.U.L!
- There is always more to learn, about yourself, about your partner and about your world if you are willing.
“The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see”- Alexandra Trenfor –
I really hope you will find the same amount of support and growth I found in these women and their messages and tools. I would love to know who your teachers are?
Please leave me their names in the comment below and if you think there is a friend who will benefit from this information please do share it with them through he email or social links below.
With Much love